Cutting-Edge Fraud Prevention
At EquiShare Credit Union, we work hard to make sure your finances are secure. Here are just some of the ways we are looking out for you.
Debit Card Fraud Monitoring
At EquiShare Credit Union we are committed to keeping our members’ assets safe while minimizing any inconvenience protecting your accounts may cause. That is why we have partnered with a premier fraud protection service to monitor activity on our member’s cards and notify us, and you, of any suspicious transactions.
Visa Transaction Alerts
Fraud monitoring helps, but nobody is perfect. That is why we at EquiShare encourage our members to enroll in VISA Purchase Alerts service. Enrollment will help cardholders quickly identify suspicious purchases on their accounts by sending customized alerts. Alerts received by email are free, alerts by text message will have a small fee. Please visit Visa.com/PurchaseAlerts to enroll or for more information.
EMV "Chip" Cards
EquiShare is proud to offer EMV-equipped debit cards for your security. EMV is a global standard for cards equipped with computer chips and the technology used to authenticate chip-card transactions. In the wake of numerous large-scale data breaches and increasing rates of counterfeit card fraud, U.S. card issuers are migrating to this new technology to protect consumers and reduce the costs of fraud. Click here to learn more about this technology.
Secure Online and Mobile Banking
We know how critical it is to keep your information safe. That is why protecting it is our top priority. We provide the highest levels of security, encryption and firewalls to keep your online banking and mobile banking experiences safe and secure.
High-Security Checks From Deluxe.com
With modern copiers producing counterfeit checks that rival originals, it is easier than ever for fraudsters to copy and fake a check. That is why EquiShare has partnered with Deluxe for check printing. Deluxe has been in the check business for over 100 years, and they have pioneered security technology that makes their high-security checks virtually impossible to copy.
Here are some of the ways these high security checks work to prevent fraud:
Tips to help protect yourself and your family
Imagine looking at your credit card or bank statement and seeing charges you did not make. Not a good feeling! Here are a few simple steps to keep this from happening to you:
- Properly discard documents – Shredding your statements and credit card offers helps keep your personal information just that – personal!
- Carry fewer cards – Try carrying only one or two credit cards. Also, keep a record of the customer service numbers and card numbers so you can block the cards if they are lost or stolen.
- Never write your PIN down – Memorize your PIN for safety.
- Keep on guard – Be careful when being asked for your credit card number, social security number, or account number.
- Don't send mail from your home mailbox - That little red flag is an invitation for a thief to steal your outgoing check; then he has your bank account number and a signature to copy. Instead, drop your bills in the nearest postal service receptacle or leave it at our branch to mail.
- Review your credit report – A quick viewing can alert you to accounts that are not yours.
- Reconcile your bank statements every month - Because if any charges are fraudulent, you have a limited time frame to dispute the charges. Once you're past the dispute window, YOU are liable for the charges.
- Sign up for FCC Alerts - So you always know the latest scams to watch out for.